Collecting a capillary blood sample from a simple finger prick is a convenient way to gain valuable insights into your health.
The sample can be collected in the comfort of your own home, and most people find this very straightforward and pain free.
There are some simple steps you can take to set yourself up for success with at-home blood collection.
- Pause - Take some time to read the instructions carefully before starting to collect the sample. If you have any questions, we are here to help.
- Hydrate! - Ensure you're well hydrated before attempting to collect the blood sample.
- Warm your hands - You can run your hand under warm water, or take a warm shower shortly before collecting the sample.
- Move your body and improve circulation - If you're cold or have been sitting still for a while it may be more difficult to collect blood. If you're able, try to do some light exercise before attempting to collect your sample. This should improve blood flow to the fingertips.
- Cut your nails - Short nails are best. Blood can pool behind long nails, making it difficult to get the blood into the tube.
- Allow enough time - Collecting a blood sample typically takes about 15 mins. It can take a little longer if you need to collect more than one sample.
- Position your arm - Keep your arm below heart level at all times when collecting the blood sample.
If you have any questions, we're here to help