PCOS is an abbreviation of Polycystic Ovary Syndrome, when an imbalance in a woman’s hormone levels causes the development of cysts in the ovaries. This affects up to one third of women in the UK.
This hormonal imbalance can cause symptoms such as irregular, or absent, periods, excessive hair growth (particularly on the face and abdomen), acne, loss of hair on the scalp, and fertility problems. Some women with cysts on their ovaries will have no symptoms at all, whilst others suffer with various symptoms, which may also cause low mood and depression.
Diagnosis of PCOS depends on a combination of tests and the history and examination undertaken by your doctor. The first set of tests for PCOS is our at-home blood test, which is a simple at-home finger-prick collection test with online results available in 2 to 4 days from the time your sample is received at our lab.
What is measured in this test?
- Follicle Stimulating Hormone (FSH)
- Luteinising Hormone (LH)
- Sex Hormone Binding Globulin (SHBG)
- Free Androgen Index (FAI)
- A finger prick kit and vials for blood collection
- A clear set of instructions
- A pre-paid, self-adhesive shipping label
- Results from an accredited lab within 3 days of receipt
- Access to your own online dashboard to view your detailed results
To purchase this test, please click here.